Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Opinion

Today the reality of politics has reared it's ugly head. I was saddened when I read the articles accusing Mayor McArthur of intimidation. But what is truly more disheartening is the hateful, vile comments being written about the mayor and anyone associated with him in our city government.

It is a sad commentary on our society when citizens can sit at a keyboard and type all sorts of vicious comments anonymously. Others take to social media and share the story and happily rejoice in the cruel comments being left by their friends, all at the mayor's and his family’s expense.

I know Mayor McArthur and Jon Pike personally. I appreciate both men. I do not believe for one minute that Jon is rejoicing that the mayor is having to deal with this controversy. I also do not believe that Mayor McArthur is a bully. As the mayor himself says he is not the most eloquent speaker. He admits he chose the wrong words to use when speaking to the women at PAWS but I do not think that is justification to publicly crucify and humiliate him.

The issue of the shelter was brought to my attention by community members passionate and devoted to animal rights. I spent an hour at our shelter. I voiced my opinion that there were improvements that needed to be made at the shelter. I spoke to the chief of police, the city attorney, and several council members about my experience and some suggestions I had to improve the shelter. The council, mayor, and Chief Stratton acted in a timely and proactive manner to address the problems and they are currently trying to rectify those issues. Just today a leading animal protection advocate, Kris Neal, said “Work is moving forward at the Shelter. PAWS and One More Chance met with the Mayor and have exchanged ideas and like what's happening and have agreed to leave the door open for future improvements.”

The shelter needed improvement but I also believe this was purposely timed as to become a campaign issue. It is still being used as a campaign issue today. I have heard some say the shelter has been in disarray for 18 years. Others have questioned, “Why was this not a campaign issue two years ago?” I asked several people that ran in 2011 if the shelter was ever brought to their attention. The answer was the same. It was not. Even certain candidates using the shelter to their advantage this campaign cycle did not mention the shelter two years ago. I find that curious.

Overall I feel the shelter concerns are being addressed by our city officials. They will continue to addressed, with or without the political agenda that has been attached to it.

The mayor is a good man with a good family. They are hurting having to read such hateful remarks about their husband, father, grandfather, and brother. This is being sensationalized intentionally and it is unfortunate. I have been on the receiving end of those kind of anonymous comments and it is hurtful. I will never rejoice in someone else's pain. I believe we as a city are better than this form of gutter politics. It is time we stop slinging mud!

No comments:

Post a Comment